People are using their mobile devices more than ever before, and not just for casually browsing the web or actively shopping. Mobile users are highly likely to pull out their smartphone when faced with a dilemma or problem, such as when making purchasing decisions at the store or finding a place nearby to eat. These moments when people use their smartphones for small, everyday tasks, are being referred to as “micro-moments.”
Research by Google indicates that micro-moments can be divided into four categories:
- I-want-to-know: These are instances when people look up information on their phones, such as something they might have seen in a commercial.
- I-want-to-go: People will look for nearby businesses on mobile devices.
- I-want-to-do: “How-to” searches and consultation with the web for ideas are moments included in this area.
- I-want-to-buy: Prior to making a purchase, people will use their smartphone to evaluate their buying decisions.
The research also indicates that these instances are becoming vastly more common, making it important for businesses to take advantage of these moments.
These micro-moments mean that consumers are more likely to make decisions and try to solve problems in the moment. This has given rise to micro-moment marketing strategies that take advantage of the tendency consumers have to consult the internet at a moment’s notice. To properly take advantage of this phenomenon:
- Make sure your online content is quickly searchable and digestible
- Understand your customers’ needs, including “in-the-moment” needs
- Determine in which moments your brand should come up
- Consider location, time of day, and other contextual elements in developing content
Using these effectively will lead consumers to choose your brand over others by providing helpful information on how it can help them right in the moment.
Designing content and implementing marketing strategies to make effective use of micro-moments is a task that requires careful planning and keen online marketing expertise. Online Performance Marketing can help you put together actionable strategies that will reach your audience right when they need you most, so contact us today!